THE BEN YOUSSEF MADRASSA
The Ben Youssef Madrassa, better known as the Koranic School, was built in 1565 under the orders of Sultan Abdellah Al Ghalib of the Saadian dynasty.
During this period, the monument housed Moroccan students from various disciplines, particularly theology.
The Madrassa had over 900 students including more than 100 foreigners. With a large pond and a prayer room, the school was richly decorated: floral patterns, marble work, cedar decorations, etc., that are still possible to admire today.
The site was restored during the 1950s and retained all its splendour.
It is the most recognised Koranic school in the whole of the Maghreb.
Sign In to publish a review