PALACE DAR JAMAI
Better known as "Dar Jamaï" or "Maison Jamaï", it is located on the edge of El Hdim Square in the Medina of Meknes.
The palace was built in 1881 by the vizier Mokhtar Jamaï during the reign of Moulay Hassan (1873-1894).
Of Andalusian style, Dar Jamaï is one of the best examples of the residences of the Moroccan "Makhzen families" at the end of the 19th century.
At the time, it consisted of living rooms, a sumptuous room used as a reception hall, a pool, a slaughterhouse, a fondouq, shops, a Moorish bath, a mosque and a garden (riad) with a pleasure pavilion (menzah) and covered walkways of zellij. Transformed into a museum in the 1920s, it now consists of the following exhibition rooms:
the room for Fez-Tafilalet ceramics.
the room for Meknes-Fez ceramics.
the room for painted and carved wood.
the central courtyard.
the Moorish bath room.
the ironwork room.
the room for pottery from the Rif and from Zerhoun.
the room for copperware.
the room for weaving and textiles.
the bridal room.
the latticework room on the first floor.
the room for weapons.
Sign In to publish a review